To Become a Member
- Must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Must have attended East Lansing High School for at least 1 semester
- Must have successfully completed the application process.
- A student may apply for membership at the conclusion of any semester as long as the meet they above requirements.
If a student, who transfers to East Lansing High School, was a member of the National Honor Society at their previous school, the student must obtain and submit a letter of recommendation from their previous NHS advisor.
An application will be sent to all eligible students during the second semester of their sophomore year. The applicant must successfully complete 7 (seven) hours of community service and return the completed application to the NHS Box located in the counseling office by the given date. The Faculty Council will then review the applications. Notification will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their membership status. Induction will take place after the end of a semester based on the number of students applying that semester. For example: 10th and 11th grade eligible students were notified in February of 2010 based on their cumulative GPA at the end of the Jan. 2009 semester.
Those that chose to apply and whose applications passed the Faculty Council review board were then sent letters about an induction ceremony. Typically one induction ceremony a year takes place but a review at the end of the January semester may warrant another induction if there are a number of applicants at that time.
The application form has been revised based on suggestions by the Faculty Council for use starting Fall 2010.
Review of cumulative GPA's for eligibility takes place at the end of each semester. Students are notified if their eligibility is at risk and of the process that follows. (coming soon)
- Must have at least 15 hours of community service earned through participation in NHS and Non-NHS sponsored events.
- Must have at least 10 hours of personal commitment.
- Must participate in a least half of the Major Events.
- Must not miss mandatory meetings (unless excused by the executive board).
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 of higher.
Students who, by the end of the semester, do not meet the minimum requirements for continued membership are subject to dismissal by the faculty council. All members are entitled to an appeals hearing with the principal. An appeals meeting must be scheduled within two weeks from the date the member received their dismissal letter.
Earning Cum Laude
Cum Laude is a title that recognizes graduating seniors who have completed more service hours than are required for Induction.
Cum Laude Requirements
Complete at minimum 90 hours of community service by the last Friday of April of their senior year. All personal commitment and single-event hours will count towards the minimum of 90 hours.